YALE CREW LIGHT BUT FAST

Oarsmen at Gales Ferry Showed Speed in Time Trials Over Course.

The Yale university and freshman crews have been practicing at Gales Ferry for the past two weeks under the instruction of Coaches Gold and Kirby. The crews this year are again using the English shells having the seats away from the centre of the boat, and with their English form of rowing got a long reach and body swing. It is this feature which marks the chief difference between the Harvard and Yale styles of rowing, the University stroke being much shorter in the water.

Yale Has Light Crew.

Two shifts have been made in the Yale first boat in the last two weeks and apparently with satisfactory results. Crocker was substituted for Captain Snowdon at stroke displacing Bryce at No. 2, and Stephenson took the place of Jenkinson at No. 5. A week ago Freeman and Stephenson exchanged places, going to No. 5 and No. 3, respectively. The present order is: stroke, Crocker; 7, Lippincott; 6, Denman; 5, Freeman; 4, Philbin; 3, Stephenson; 2, Captain Snowdon; bow, Gore; cox., Barnum. This crew is exceptionally light, averaging by the time of the race probably close to 165 pounds, and is the lightest which has represented Yale in many years.

Fast Times in Trials.

In their first time trial over the four-mile course Captain Snowdon's eight made the distance in 21 minutes, 25 seconds. The Conditions of wind and tide were about neutral, although a light wind and tide favored the boat at first. On the following Friday, with a favoring wind and tide, the time was 21 minutes, 17 seconds. The record is 20 minutes, 10 seconds, made in 1888, but any crew which can row the distance in 21 minutes, 30 seconds, is making the average time row. A week ago the University crew covered the four miles in 21 minutes, 44 seconds, but although there was no tide, a head wind during the row makes time comparisons difficult.

Yale has a light, but powerful crew, well-coached and at present rowing a stroke of about 30 to 32 in their time trials. Whether they can raise this and still keep their form with its long reach is yet to be seen. The men are in good condition, and will enter Monday upon the final stages of preparation for the race Friday afternoon. The Yale freshman crew at Gales Ferry is very powerful, but looks for a stiff race with Harvard 1916, as this crew is considered one of the strongest Freshman eights in recent years.