NEWS PRIZES IN ECONOMICS

Hart, Schaffner, and Marx Announce Another Series of Rewards for Essays.

In order to arouse an interest in the study of topics relating to commerce and industry, and to stimulate those who have a college training to consider the problems of a business career, a committee composed of Professor J. Lawrence Laughlin, University of Chicago, chairman; Professor j. b. Clark; Columbia university; Professor Henry C. Adams, University of Michigan; Horace White, Esq., New York City; and Professor Edwin F. Gay, Harvard University, has been enabled through the generosity of Messrs. Hart, Schaffner, and Marx, of Chicago, to offer in 1914 four prizes for the best studies in the economic field. the contestants are divided into two classes, A and B. Class B includes only those who, at the time the papers are sent in, are undergraduates of any American college. Class A includes any other Americans without restrictions. For contestants in Class A, a first prize of one thousand dollars, and a second prize of five hundred dollars are offered. A first prize of three hundred dollars and a second prize of two hundred dollars are offered to contestants in Class B. Papers must be sent in on or before June 1, 1914. the committee reserves the right to award the two prizes of $1000 and $500 of class A to undergraduates in Class b, if the merits of the papers demand it. The committee also reserves the privilege of dividing the prizes offered, if justice can be best obtained thereby. Detailed particulars may be obtained from the chairman of the committee.