U. of P. Abolishes Bowl Fight

The bowl fight, which has been an anual event at the University of Pennsylvania for more than half a century, as well as similar forms of class rivalry, will probably be abolished as the result of Wednesday's battle between the sophomore and freshman class, in which one student lost his life and six others were injured.

Resolutions favoring such action and urging the institution of interclass athletic contests under faculty supervision were adopted by undergraduate organizations Wednesday night. Provost Smith and many members of the board of trustees also recorded their disapproval of the fights.

Students who witnessed the battle said the fighting was marked by the fiercest scrimmage they had ever seen, but the fatality and large number of accidents were due to the slippery field, they declared. About 400 freshmen and 200 sophomores took part in the battle.

Coroner Knight, after investigating the affair, said that the death of William L. Lifson, the freshman who lost his life in the fight, was due to suffocation and that there would be no arrests.