MANY DIVERSIONS FOR THOSE WHO REMAINED IN CAMBRIDGE

Included Receptions by President and Mrs. Lowell and at Phillips Brooks House.

Many who remained in Cambridge during the vacation availed themselves of the hospitality of President and Mrs. Lowell and of Phillips Brooks House. The receptions were held at President Lowell's home on Christmas Eve;, and at Phillips Brooks House the following night and at the University tea last Friday afternoon.

About 75 men were present at the reception given by President and Mrs. Lowell. A beautifully decorated Christmas tree in the centre of the reception room was laden with boxes of candy, one of which was given to each of the guests. In addition a calendar was presented to every guest. President Lowell's annual reading from the Bible of the story of the first Christmas was followed by "Bob Cratchett's Christmas Dinner," read by Professor Copeland, and readings from the poems of Kipling by Professor Henry Morse Stevens, of the University of California. Refreshments were served later in the evening. The guests included Dean and Mrs. Briggs, Dr. and Mrs. Albert Parker Fitch, Dean Hurlburt, Arthur Beane '11, and Professor R. B. Merriman '96.

The entertainment given at Phillips Brooks House on Christmas evening was also very successful, about 75 men being present. Professor R. B. Merriman '96 addressed the gathering, and Dr. Samuel McCall Crothers '99 read some of his Christmas writings. The entertainment also included piano solos by W. M. Horton '17, songs by R. M. Rogers 3L., and readings by Mrs. W. R. Ohler, which were very highly appreciated. A generous supply of appropriate refreshments was on hand, and the gathering lasted until 10 o'clock.

The regular University tea was held at Phillips Brooks House on the afternoon of December 31, and was attended by many of the students who were in Cambridge at the time.

Professor Copeland as usual entertained at his rooms from 10 to 12 o'clock, following the Phillips Brooks House reception on Christmas night.