Proposal for Honoring N. Prince '08.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Thousands of us who did not know Norman Prince personally have watched his career with great interest and have been thrilled by his courage and skill; and now that he has given his life to the cause of liberating France from oppression, we cannot feel that his name should not be commemorated in some enduring manner to serve as an example to the youth of the future.

When things are wrong in the world, now and then a man of fine spirit feels that he must go right out and do something to correct them. The spirit that moved Lafayette, Kosciusco and Garibaldi was keenly alive in this young man. The Republic of France will not forget him, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude for doing so much to testify to the desire of some of our countrymen to show an active sympathy.

I suggest that the graduates and undergraduates of Harvard unite in raising a fund to erect a tablet to his memory, and no more fitting spot to place it could be found than Soldiers Field, because I am sure the donor of the field would feel that it was a fitting place for a memorial to a man who was worthy to rank with his own friends of the Civil War.

It will always be a pride to Harvard men to remember those who have done something to help France in this great war; those who served as ambulance drivers or doctors, or as combatants in the aerial service. In testifying to our undying admiration and respect for Norman Prince by the erection of a memorial, we honor ourselves and show our appreciation of his fine spirit and our sympathy for the noble cause for which he died. C. H. FISKE, JR., '93.