FOOTBALL EXPERTS DIFFER

Robinson, Brown Coach, Favors Yale to Win Contest, While Webb Picks University Team.

Yale's unexpected victory over Princeton last Saturday has entirely upset the calculations of the leading football experts. The critics, many of whom formerly conceded an easy victory to the University, are now divided in their opinions. Coach Edward N. Robinson, of Brown, whose eleven has defeated both Yale and the University, declares that Yale has the stronger team, and should win next Saturday's game at New Haven. Mr. Robinson does not attach much significance to the fact that the University team which met Brown was composed of substitutes, for he says: "Personally, I believe that so-called second-string men, with the ambition to be first-string men, are a harder proposition than veterans anxious to be in the best shape for the final game. However this may be, it is fair to assume that the two games showed the comparative strength of the two teams, both as to offence and defence."

Compares Opposing Elevens.

Coach Robinson in continuing draws a brief comparison of the two elevens:

"In the execution of plays and the so-called hidden ball deception, Harvard is certainly more advanced, but deceptive plays are not so sure of success as a strong and powerful attack.

"In open field work, such as running back kicks, etc., both are about equal, using practically the same methods in the Brown games. Yale virtually scored her touchdown against Princeton Saturday by a forward pass, and won the Colgate game by this method of attack, yet has not completed a forward pass against Brown for three years, while Harvard has been very successful against us with her passing game. The Yale line is heavier and has more power than Harvard and ought to be able to offset the quicker charge of the Crimson line. Defensively, this weight and power advantage ought to be a great asset to Yale, provided the men are not given too explicit instructions to watch some individual star on the Harvard team. Personally, I believe in a space defence where every man covers a certain space. If this is done effectively, criss cross and so-called concealed ball plays will not avail.. Individually the players on both teams have been compared so many times that nothing I could add would be of interest. Legore and Black will stand out for Yale, and Horween and Casey for Harvard, but such contests usually produce a king on one team or the other, so that it is useless to try to foresee what next Saturday will bring.

"I am a great believer in that psychology of the game; and the memory of the last two years certainly ought to put the Yale team on the field in a state of mind that would not be accepted at a Hague convention. If Tad Jones this week will post the scores of the last two Harvard games so that the team will be properly impressed and in addition will advise his ends to 'go to them' fast, he will go a long way toward ending out a very successful season. I believe Yale has better material than Harvard and ought to win."

Crimson Eleven Physically Fit.

On the other hand, Melville E. Webb, Jr., of the Boston Globe, maintains that the University team will be the likely winner. He argues that the Crimson eleven will be more physically fit for a hard game than Yale, because of the latter's strenuous work against Princeton. He summarizes the situation as follows:

The loss of the Brown game will doubtless have little effect on the spirits of the regular outfit, so many members of which accompanied almost the entire coaching squad to Princeton to get a peek at the Yale team in action. The Harvard eleven, except for one or two men, has had a good rest since playing Princeton and can do considerable work in final preparation for Yale during the three days it will be at Cambridge this week. The defence for the Yale game has been worked out and after going to Princeton all the coaches have been able to have a hand in it. It is not known just how much, if anything, Yale held back in the game with the Tigers, but probably very little, except for some possible features of a lateral passing game and some frills with the forward passing maneuver.

"The chances are that Harvard will go into the Yale game at the top of its season's physical condition. This will mean a lot, as Harvard's game has been built this year for speed to put on against a heavier rushline, and a game that is aimed to take the ball around the Yale wings and to throw it over the New Haven forwards rather than to drive through the line.

Yale Attack Considered.

"The chances are, also that Yale has about reached the limits of its possibilities. It seldom has happened that Yale has been able to play better football against Harvard than against Princeton. Still, the New Haven team learned a lot of football in the match with the Tigers, and its line--particularly if it is in shape--should be better against Harvard than it was at Princeton.

"Yale with Braden and Legore for better drop-kicking against Harvard than at Princeton if the protection is made more secure will be dangerous, but except for drop-kicking the team has shown nothing so far that warrants the opinion that, a touchdown can be made by rushing."

1917 Tech, Show Chosen.

The title of the 1917 Tech. show has been announced as "Not a Chance," written by I. B. MacDaniel, Technology 1917. MacDaniel has been in the cast of several Tech. shows of former years, and this year will act as stage director, besides taking a part. The coaches will be the same as last year and will include Samuel J. Hume '13, Mr. Howard and Miss Virginia Tanner. This year the show is to be supervised by an Alumni Advisory Board.

Plans for Dartmouth's Carnival.

The winter carnival held annually among the New Hampshire hills by the Dartmouth Outing Club wll come this winter on February 15, 16 and 17. The carnival has undergone a steady growth since its beginning several years ago, until at the present time, its distinctive posiion attracts wide interest, even rivalling the Montreal carnival.

This year for the first time the festivities of the three-days will be paid for by the interest of a $10,000 endowment fund given last year by the Reverend J. E. Johnson, Dartmouth 1866, who has also been of great help to the Outing Club in many other ways. Although the detailed program has not yet been made out, it is certain that during the three day's festival there will be intercollegiate snow shoe and ski contests, including ski jumping. There will also be a carnival ball as well as the usual productions by the undergraduate dramatic and musical clubs.

The Dartmouth Glee Club will give a concert in the Winchester town hall on Thanksgiving evening. Dancing will follow the concert. An elaborate program has been arranged, and will include several humorous readings, a group of American Indian songs by E. Frazier '20, who is a full-blooded Sioux Indian, and several Hawaiian melodies with ukelele accompaniment. The Dartmouth Glee Club is tied with the clubs of Princeton and the University for the prize offered by the Intercollegiate Glee Club Association, and competed for annually by the leading Eastern colleges and universities.

Owing to the uncertainty of support in the cities in which the concerts were planned the Williams Musical Clubs have definitely given up their Christmas trip. A concert will be given in North Carolina on January 18 or 19, and another in Williamstown at the time of the mid-winter house parties. An Easter tour is sure to be made by the clubs, however, and will include the following cities: Syracuse, N. Y.; Rochester, N. Y.; Buffalo, N. Y., and East Orange, N. J. On April 17, there will be a concert at the Plaza Hotel, New York