IT IS BETTER TO GIVE

Many appeals are made to the generosity of Americans at this time when practically the entire civilized world is crying for aid. But of them all none deserves more abundant and whole-hearted support than the National Allied Bazaar. It has become an unusual institution--this year, we hope, for the last time. The proceeds are devoted to the "help of all sufferers in the war zone", whether broken by war or by famine or other attendant evils. It is not solely the cause of the Allies that is represented; it is the cause of all humanity. In that the non-combatants of France and the smaller kingdoms of Belgium, Rumania and Serbia suffered more acutely than the Central Powers, the generosity of America flows more readily to them.

No man is so wise as to be able to say that one faction is altogether just, the other altogether evil. At such a time when all wisdom is clouded, and virtue takes on the appearance of sin, no single mind may declare the truth. One should hardly allow his partisanship, however earnest, nor his neutrality, however firm, to bind his liberality.

Generosity is always more pleasant when accompanied by an entertainment. The Bazaar furnishes that in abundance. In this country the word "bazaar" not infrequently conjures up remembrances of parish houses and Ladies Aid Societies. But the festivals in the Arabian nights and the great Eastern bazaars will more nearly approach the exhibition in Mechanics Building tonight. Articles of every description will be on sale--and there will always be a fair exchange for your money. The elaborate exhibition of war relics and the reproduction of a British trench, arranged by Captain Thwaites, to say nothing of the trench-climbing "tank," cannot fail to interest. There will also be chances to contribute to individual charities in which you may be personally interested.

It is an unusual opportunity to combine pleasantly the Christmas shopping with "doing out bit" for a cause that cannot but appeal to all men with any interest in humanity--and to Harvard men particularly.