RAGGED PLAYING IN PRACTICE

B. A. A. WON SCRIMMAGE 7 TO 5.--CAPTAIN MORGAN BACK IN LINE-UP.

The University hockey team was defeated by the B. A. A. seven in a half-hour practice scrimmage at the Arena yesterday afternoon, 7 goals to 5. Sands, who scored four goals, and Percy, who got three of his shots past Donahue, were the individual stars of the game, which was generally marked by ragged playing. Captain Morgan, who has been out of the game for over a week, returned to the line-up for a short time yesterday, and considerably bolstered the defence, and also the offence by his individual rushes and clever passing.

For the first half hour of practice the work consisted of carrying the puck down the rink singly, in pairs, and by threes and fours against Clark and Gardner, the second line of defence men. Wylde and Abbot alternated at goal, each doing good work, though Abbot was not very consistent. The passing was better than in the scrimmage, where it was inaccurate. Lombard was hit above the knee with a stick, and may be out of the game for a few days, though it is possible that the injury will not prove serious.

In the scrimmage, B. A. A. started off with a rush, Sands scoring two goals before the University team got really started. The play then centered around the B. A. A. goal for some time, but the University forwards were unable to get any shots from very close, while Donahue successfully warded off several attempts from farther off.

For the next few minutes the University seven was completely outclassed, making only a few weak attempts at scoring, while Huntington, skating through the University defence, caged the puck, and Sands repeated the trick, making a clean goal. A few seconds later he scored from a mix-up. Except for Percy, the University forwards appeared to lack confidence and determination on the defence, while on the offence they did not form their line well, going up in pairs and singly. The wings especially were drawn out of position. Poor ice contributed to a tendency towards poor skating and frequent falls. The passing was uncertain, and could not be successful because of the failure of men to keep their positions. The carrying of the puck was also weak, particularly near the opposing goal, so that many plays were broken up by the defence, and most of the shots were from a distance. Soon after Sands' goal, however, Percy, following up an unsuccessful shot from the middle of the rink, shot a clean goal. A minute later, Rice, after a pass from Thacher, shot the puck past Donahue. Hutchinson then scored again for B. A. A., but Percy followed with two goals, the first from a mix-up and the second on a pass from W. Morgan.

By this time, the University was playing mostly substitutes and put up some stiff opposition, though the B. A. A. team was greatly handicapped when Huntington left the game.

Wendell was the next player to cage the puck. Shortly after, Hutchinson received a bad cut over the eye, and had to be helped off the ice. Just before the whistle blew, Fisher scored after Donahue had been drawn from the cage.

The team must recover from its present slump if it is to win from Dartmouth Friday night, although the latter team has been greatly handicapped during the last few days because of lack of ice. With preliminary practice in the Arena, they will, however, put up a strong fight, as they have several stars and good team-work