PREVENTION OF WAR PRINCIPLE PROBLEM

Mr. G. L. Dickinson Proposed Plans for World Peace at Close of Present Conflict.

"The great question confronting the world is not how to settle the war but how to prevent war," said Mr. G. L. Dickinson in his address in the Union last night. Mr. Dickinson in the course of his talk on "International Reconstruction After the War" explained that until a solution of the above problem was found and put into operation we cannot hope for universal peace. He said that he believed such a solution had been found in the measures proposed by the League to Enforce Peace, and described and defended what these measures were.

In introducing his subject, Mr. Dickinson compared nations with individuals. A nation is really one big individual composed of many smaller ones, and it should be treated as such. When quarrels arise between individuals, they are decided by going to court. Why should not international disputes be decided in the same way? That is, why not establish an international court, composed of representatives from all countries? This is in part, what the League to Enforce Peace proposes to do. Some people argue that international law is sufficient to take care of disputes between nations, but international law is, at best, indefinite and a constant subject of dispute, and has no influence on preventing war. Other people argue that the way to prevent war is to arm. This, too, is fallacious, for each nation tries to be the best prepared until at length this competition of armament becomes intolerable and war inevitably follows. The great underlying principle involved, which so many people seem to overlook, is that whatever policy a nation pursues, it has no power to control it.

The first step towards abolishing war is to abolish those conditions which are incentives for it. The substitution of a world state for anarchy has been suggested. This would tend to bind the nations into a unit, making them more dependent upon one another. History shows that national sovereignty is gradually emerging and it will probably come sooner or later. It is essential to diminish the independence of nations and make them more inter-dependent if we wish to discourage war.

In conclusion he said that the United States was the country that should act on the proposal of a world peace. When the war is over, those nations which have been involved will not be ready with any such plans themselves, and the time will be ripe for the presentation of one. Individuals should keep up their passion for peace, and eventually they will be rewarded.