THE NEW MINOR SPORT.

A new minor (perhaps it may soon be major) sport was welcomed into the University last night by the thousand students who packed the Living Room of the Union. The promotion of any addition to our already wide field of extra-curriculum activities requires both perseverance and a careful sizing up of opportunities. And to have done this in so popular a way as to attract more spectators, than have witnessed any other intercollegiate contest proves both the ability of the managers and the existence of a good opening for this new sport.

The advantages of boxing for the individual--teaching self-defence and providing exercise--are wrapped up in the merits of the pastime from the point of view of the University. The season fits conveniently into our athletic calendar. Hockey, wrestling, and gymnastics have drawn only a fraction of the students into mid-winter sports, and boxing offers additional training for large numbers. Those who cannot compete on University teams have found a novel and strenuous way to bridge over the period between, say, fall tennis and Leiter cup baseball. These practical merits, confirmed by the excellent spirit of the spectators last night who evidenced neither a diletante "high blow" interest in athletics nor on the other hand an excess of violent enthusiasm insure the permanence of "the many art" as a College activity.