TEAMS SELECTED FOR TRIANGULAR DEBATE

A. G. Paine '17 Won Thomas Jefferson Coolidge Prize for Speeches During Trials.

As a result of the final debating trials held Saturday afternoon and evening in the New Lecture Hall, A. G. Paine '17, of Spokane, Wash., was awarded the Thomas Jefferson Coolidge Debating Prize of $100. The five other men who were chosen to make up the debating teams to meet Princeton and Yale in the annual Triangular Debate are: B. E. Carter '16, of Texarkana, Ark.; H. Epstein '16, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; E. R. Roberts '16, of Cape Girardeau, Mo.; J. H. Spitz '17, of Brookline, and C. A. Trafford '16, of Worcester. The alternates were: A. G. Aldis '17, of Lake Forrest, Ill.; L. Brentano '18, of Orange, N. J.; D. Davis '18, of Pueblo, Col:

The judges of the trials were Judge A. P. Stone '93, P. L. Sayre '16, and A. A. Berle, Jr. '13, and the subject debated was: "Resolved. That the United States should adopt a system of compulsory military service modelled after that of Switzerland."

Four teams debated during the afternoon and evening, but no decision as to which team was best was rendered, as all decisions were based entirely on the merits of the individual debaters. The make-up of the teams is no final, as the coach may change them if he wishes, and may substitute an alternate for a man nominated by the judges for the teams.