DR. DAVISON.

A community is always disposed to look outside its own limits for the factors in its development. Sometimes it is peculiarly fortunate in being able to discover such a factor within itself, but this it is usually slow to recognize. No more potent factor has appeared in the raising of standards of taste in the community of the University, than Dr. Davison. In addition to his work as an organist of international reputation, he has devoted his services to the popularization of good music in the University at large. This work he has accomplished in an eminently practical and effective manner. His method has been that of the organizer, and in the popular idiom, he has "brought home the bacon."

This work has been done in four ways. First, in his Freshman choral societies he has brought about a knowledge and appreciation of good music by the actual singing of it. Again, in his work with the University Glee Club he has made the organization unquestionably the finest in the country, both in the quality of its work, and in the standard of its repertory. He has always been the advocate of competitive singing, and was a deciding factor in the establishment of the Intercollegiate Glee Club Meets. He has supervised the production of a number of undergraduate performances with results such as were shown in the recent performance of "Orpheus" by the Radcliffe Choral Society, and the Glee Club. Finally, under Dr. Davidson's personal direction, the Appleton Chapel Choir has become the finest men's choir in the country. A famous conductor declared some time ago that he was coming to hear this choir so that he might listen to music that he had not been able to hear since he left Germany.

The simple enumeration of Dr. Davison's activities is sufficient to establish the value of his services. For these services, is due the appreciation and gratitude of the community in which he has worked.