THE TRAINING CRUISE.

National defence depends not only upon a sufficient number of able-bodied men willing to fight for their country, but also upon a sufficient number who have a knowledge of how warfare is conducted. With this fact in view, military camps were organized to train intelligent men as officers. Parallel with this movement, there is now growing up the feeling of a need for some arrangement to provide trained men for emergency officers in the navy. Surely there is no fallacy in this idea, for the peculiar situation of the United States, between two oceans, emphasizes the importance of an efficient navy. The proposed cruise of four weeks should serve well the triple function which is announced for it.

This latest development of the growth of the preparedness movement has a real significance for Harvard men. Opportunities for training are now offered students in three branches of warfare. For men who prefer army service, there is Plattsburg; for those inclined to aeronautics, there is the new flying corps; and, thirdly, the chance to practice fighting methods on shipboard.