REGIMENT TO DRILL IN OPEN

FIRST VOLUNTARY OUTDOOR WORK TODAY.--EN MASSE MANOEUVRES PLANNED.

Plans are being made by Regimental Headquarters to have the Regimental drill-ground, now the Baseball Cage, gradually supplanted by an open-air training ground, to be a part of Soliders Field. Voluntary drill for the eight companies of the Regiment will commence on Soldiers Field today and will continue Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays for an indefinite period of time, weather, of course, permitting. This outdoor drill will last from 2 until 5 o'clock, in three one-hour classes. The drill will be with arms, and provisional companies will be formed by means of which the customary manoeuvers will be performed. Privates will report to the assistant instructors on the field at either 2, 3, or 4 o'clock on the afternoons for which outdoor drill is scheduled. Uniforms will not be required. Drill will comprise that regularly prescribed for that week.

This drill on open ground will permit features which have been prohibited by the space limits of the Baseball Cage. In the Cage, the Regiment has been compelled to drill in small squads. It will now be possible to manoeuver the entire force en masse. The last military lecture will be given tomorrow, and the attention of the officers of the Regiment will then be concentrated on drill, and an attempt will be made to attain as perfect form as possible. Outdoor drill will also take place in the evening. To make this feasible a string of are lamps will probably be set up in the Stadium for illumination.

The first day of required drill will be on Friday, when all eight companies will report at Soldiers Field at 5.15 and will drill in close formation under the supervision of Captain Cordier.

The Regimental Band will play with the entire Regiment for the first time on Tuesday, April 25. On the following Sunday, April 30, the Sanitary Troops attached to the Regiment, together with the Regiment and Regimental Band, will take a practice march for a distance of several miles. This will be the first opportunity since the establishment of the body last December to see the Regiment as a whole in action. The march will last for three hours.