CHAMPIONSHIP NINE BLANKED

MAHAN AND GARRITT HELD RED SOX SCORELESS IN ONE RUN SHUT-OUT.

The University baseball team opened the 1916 season by taking a brilliant 1-0 victory from the World's Champion Red Sox. The game was not a gift from magnanimous professionals; the Crimson players simply played better ball. The offensive work of the two nines was about on a par, but in the work in the field the University was decidedly superior, playing without error and pulling off three sensational double plays, the last of which effectually nipped the Red Sox' ninth inning rally and ended the game.

The University's run came in the fourth. With two down, Abbot reached first on Gardner's fumble, and raced to third when Harte singled to right, the latter reaching second on the throw. Knowles then rapped a hard grounder wide of first, and in Hoblitzel's futile effort to made the third out Abbot crossed the plate. Gregg filled the bases by hitting Fripp, but got out of the hole when Reed flied out to Hooper.

Mahan and Garritt each showed great form, together holding the World's Champions to five scattered hits. The University infield supplied all the thrills for the afternoon, and Coolidge, with a single and a double, out of two trips to the plate, was the star of the day at the bat.

Bowdoin Game Postponed.

Owing to the poor condition of the University diamond, the contest with Bowdoin, which was to have been played today, has been postponed until tomorrow. The summary of yesterday's game follows:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Percy, r.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Wyche, r.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0Coolidge, c.f.  2  0  2  1  0  0Nash, 1b.  4  0  0  13  0  0Abbot, 2b.  4  1  0  5  5  0Harte, c.  4  0  2  3  2  0Knowles, 1.f.  4  0  1  2  0  0Fripp, 3b.  3  0  0  0  6  0Reed, s.s.  4  0  0  2  3  0Mahan, p.  2  0  0  1  3  0Garritt, p.  1  0  0  0  1  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Total.  32  1  5  27  20  0RED SOX.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Hooper, r.f.  3  0  1  1  0  0*Scott, s.s.  3  0  1  3  6  0*Hoblitzel, 1b.  4  0  0  9  0  0Walker, c.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0Shorten, l.f.  3  0  0  5  0  0Gardner, 3b.  3  0  1  3  2  2Barry, 2b.  3  0  1  2  1  0Agnew, c.  2  0  0  4  1  0Gregg, p.  0  0  0  0  1  0McHale, p.  1  0  0  0  0  1+Henriksen,  1  0  0  0  0  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Total.  27  0  5  27  11