HARJES AMBULANCE HONORED

MANY UNDERGRADUATES IN SERVICE GIVEN HIGH PRAISE IN ARMY ORDERS.

Notable recognition of the quality of service which has been rendered the French army by the American sanitary transport section known as the Harjes Formation, was made last week by chief officers at the front.

In this section are many University undergraduates and many more have seen active service in it who are no longer members. The official recognition of the Formation came in the issuance of a formal citation in army orders reading:

"This organization assured, during the period of eleven days' fighting from the eighth to the nineteenth of March, with absolute disregard of danger, the transportation of wounded in a zone particularly swept by enemy artillery. Moreover, all its personnel exhibited proof of remarkable devotion and endurance in maintaining throughout nineteen hours daily a maximum service from this unit."

The section comprises about 30 automobiles, with American volunteer workers. During the heavy fighting about Verdun several of their cars were struck by splinters of shells, but no casualties resulted.

The undergraduates now in this service include the following: Raymond Peacock Baldwin '16, of Brookline; Ervin Thayer Drake, Jr., '16, of Franklin, N. H.; Julian Langson Lathrop '18, of New Hope, Pa., whose death was erroneously reported a few days before the Easter recess; Robert Lowell Moore '18, of Cambridge; Dillwyn Parrish '18, of Claymont, Del.; John Kenneth Taylor Phillips '17, of Lawrence, L. I., N. Y.; Paul Tison '18, of New York, N. Y., and Bertram Williams '18, of Cambridge.