TENNIS TEAM IN SECOND DEFEAT

Second Team Also Lost, While Freshmen Left Milton Scoreless.

The University tennis team was defeated by the Longwood Cricket Club, 7 matches to 2, on Divinity Field, yesterday afternoon. Without an exception, the matches were very close, four of them requiring three-set decisions. The best of the individual matches, in point of the class of tennis exhibited, was that in which Captain R. N. Williams, 2d, '16 defeated N. W. Niles '09, 6-4, 6-4. G. P. Gardner '10 and G. C. Caner '17 played the closest match of the occasion, Gardner winning by the score of 7-5, 12-14, 6-4. Every point was hotly contested, and both players were noticeably steady.

The following is the summary: Singles--Captain R. N. Williams, 2d, '16 defeated N. W. Niles '09, 6-4, 6-4; G. P. Gardner '10 defeated G. C. Caner '17, 7-5, 12-14, 6-4; H. C. Johnson defeated W. Rand, 3d, '17, 6-3, 7-5; J. D. E. Jones defeated J. S. Pfaffmann '17, 6-4, 2-6, 8-6; Irving Wright defeated H. G. M. Kelleher '18, 6-4, 7-9, 6-4; Putnam defeated W. D. D. Morgan '18, 6-3, 7-5. Doubles--Williams and Pfaffmann won from Niles and Gardner, by default; Wright and Johnson defeated Caner and Rand, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2; Putnam and Seaver defeated Kelleher and Morgan; 6-4, 6-1.

Seconds Also Defeated.

The second tennis team was defeated by the Longwood second team, 7 matches to 2, at Longwood, yesterday afternoon. The best of the matches was that in which J. S. Brown, Jr., '17 defeated Wightman, 6-4, 8-6. The following is the summary: Singles--Wheelwright defeated Captain A. S. Peabody '16, 6-2, 6-4; J. S. Brown, Jr., '17 defeated Wightman, 6-4, 8-6; Scott defeated E. B. Benjamin '18, 6-3, 6-1; Beals defeated H. Talcott '18, 6-3, 6-4; Taylor defeated E. B. Benedict '18, 6-2, 6-2; A. F. Doty '16 defeated Bray, 8-6, 4-6, 6-3. Doubles--Wheelwright and Greenough defeated Peabody and Brown, 6-3, 6-4; Scott and Beals defeated Talcott and Benedict, 6-3, 6-3; Wightman and Bray defeated Dunmore and Benjamin, 6-3, 6-0.

Freshmen Whitewash Opponents.

The Freshman tennis team defeated Milton Academy, 9 matches to 0, at Milton, yesterday afternoon. The outcome of the match was never at any time in doubt, and not a single match required three sets for a decision.

The following is the summary: Singles--Captain R. C. Rand, 3d, '19 defeated E. Bacon, 6-2, 6-1; R. H. Kissell '19 defeated N. R. Knox, 6-2, 6-0; C. J. Coulter '19 defeated E. Johnson, 6-1, 6-0; F. P. Ritchie '19 defeated G. Crompton, 6-0, 6-1; F. M. Warburg '19 defeated S. Campbell, 6-0, 6-0; F. W. Hatch '19 defeated E. B. Rogerson, 6-2, 6-1. Doubles--Rand and Kissell defeated Bacon and Johnson, 6-3, 6-1; Coulter and Ritchie defeated Knox and Crompton, 6-4, 6-4; Hatch and Garrison defeated Campbell and Rogerson, 6-2, 6-4.