TRAINING CRUISE EXPLAINED

UNDERGRADUATE COMMITTEE DESIRES MEN INTERESTED TO SIGN BLUE-BOOKS.

To arouse interest and enthusiasm in regard to the Training Cruise for Civilians, an undergraduate committee has been formed, composed of the following: R. F. Herrick, Jr., '16, chairman; D. P. Morgan '16, H. R. Guild '17, J. E. P. Morgan '17, B. Norman '18, J. T. Rogers '18, G. D. Flynn, Jr., '19, and J. L. Merrill '19.

The committee is anxious that no misunderstanding should arise as to eligibility for the cruise, and emphasizes the fact that no special training is required, all undergraduates being eligible.

It will start on August 15 and on that day all those enrolled will get aboard their assigned boats. Five days are allowed recruits from this date to get accustomed to the nature of their duties mainly those of ordinary sailors.

The second week will be devoted entirely to a war game in which eight battleships, along with several other types of war boats, will participate. The moves and tactics of this will all be thoroughly explained.

A regular cruise along the Maine coast or in Narragansett Bay, with landing parties, boat drills, and rifle practice, if accessible ranges can be found, will occupy the third week.

The final week will be most interesting as manoeuvers will be conducted in conjunction with small boats belonging to the new Power Boat Squadron, submarines, destroyers and such other auxiliary boats as go to make up a fleet prepared for war.

In addition to the regular work and routine, there will be ample opportunity for men with natural inclination to specialize in that branch in which they are interested. There will also be a series of lectures on subjects pertinent to the cruise.

The cost will be $30, which is reasonable when account is taken of the actual expense per man to the government.

All undergraduates interested in the cruise are asked to sign their names in the blue-books for that purpose to be found at Leavitt & Peirce's, the Freshman Dormitories, the Union, and Memorial Hall. It should be plainly understood that the signing of these books does not signify and obligation to go on the cruise, and also does not constitute the necessary enrolment. The committee is merely trying to determine how many are interested. The headquarters have been established in the same office with that of the Harvard Flying Corps. Further information and pamphlets describing the cruise can be obtained here. Office hours will be form 1.30 until 2.30, and form 7.30 until 8 o'clock on all days except Saturdays and Sundays.