HUNT FOR DEER FOLLOWED ROW

MARITIME CHASE AT CONCLUSION OF TWO-MILE PADDLE WAS UNSUCCESSFUL.

Red Top, Conn., June 6. -- Perhaps the most important part of today's practice of the University and Freshman crews at Red Top took place when the crews had finished their two mile paddle. Coach Guy Nickalls and Abbot of the Yale camp were coming down-stream in a pair-oar, alongside of whom was the "Pup" containing Coaches Haines and Herrick and several Crimson oarsmen. Suddenly a young deer was spied swimming in the water, and both the University and Yale contingents started out in hot pursuit.

An extremely exciting maritime deer hunt ensued, in which the occupants of the "Pup" almost carried away the prize. After failing to lassoo the deer, those in the "Pup" decided to let the animal go free, but a capture would have been easy, as the boat came within two feet of the quarry. The two Eli representatives, however, were not so magnanimous, and insisted on pursuing the chase, with the usual unfortunate results.

The deer was chased to shallow water, where Coach Nickalls alighted from his pair-oar and grasped the animal firmly by the neck, only to have the terrible luck of slipping at such a critical moment. Of course, the deer took the golden opportunity to make a hasty retreat, leaving the Yale men disconsolate and the Yale coach struggling on a sandy bottom.

The University and Freshman oarsmen are all in excellent shape. The order in both boats remained the same in today's workout as yesterday. The practice consisted of a two-mile row, taking an easy stroke for the whole distance, and a number of practice starts. The eight was consistently good in getting away in shape in the starts.

In the morning practice of the Yale crew yesterday one exchange of places was made in the seating of the first shell. Meyer, who has been rowing at 5, was sent to 7, while Sturtevant came down from 7 to 5. In the afternoon another change was made. Hadley, who has been rowing bow on the first eight, was sent to bow on the second crew, while Harriman was placed at bow in the first crew.

The first and second Yale crews held a practice race in which both crews rowed at a rapid clip. The new order of the Yale crew seemed to be well chosen, however, for this boat had no trouble in defeating the junior eight by a comfortable lead of two lengths