CAPT. CORDIER DETAILED AS INSTRUCTOR IN UNIVERSITY

REGIMENT PLANS UNCERTAIN

In accordance with an act of Congress, approved on June 13, 1916, the War Department has detailed Captain Constant Cordier, U. S. A., former commander of the Harvard Regiment, to give instruction in the University in military science and tactics. Captain Cordier will start this year with a single course, to be known as "Military Science and Tactics." It is hoped that other courses will be added later until a full course of instruction to prepare men to become officers in the reserve army has been developed.

The course will be both of a theoretical and a practical nature. With the exception of freshmen, it will be open to all students in Harvard College who are physically fit, and may be counted for a degree. Freshmen will be allowed to take the course only with the consent of Captain Cordier and the approval of the faculty. Students in the Graduate Schools may take the course, but it will not be counted towards a degree.

As Captain Cordier is at present out of town, it was impossible to obtain an interview with him yesterday. On his return, the CRIMSON will publish in full his plans for the ensuing year and the arrangements that have been made as to the future of the Harvard Regiment. It is reasonably certain, however, that a volunteer regiment on the same plan as last year will not be attempted.