279 MEN ENLISTED IN CAUSE

VOLUNTEERS HAVE ENGAGED IN VARIOUS FORMS OF SOCIAL SERVICE WORK.

The mid-year report of the Social Service Committee of Phillips Brooks House shows that since the beginning of the year 279 men have been enlisted in some form of social work. A large number of these men, about 130, are engaged in teaching foreigners and workingmen and leading boys' clubs in Cambridge; the remainder are working under the settlement houses in Boston. The scope of the work done by these volunteers is very wide, ranging from teaching elementary subjects, such as English, mathematics, and civics, to leading groups of boys who are interested in athletics, music, dramatics or scouting. Many of the workers are engaged in some special form of social service. For example, 13 men are doing Juvenile Court and Associated Charities work, 12 are teaching Sunday school and 19 are leading Boy Scout troops. The following table shows the exact number of men engaged and the kind of work done: Leaders of boys clubs,  123 Teachers,  99 Boy Scout leaders,  19 Sunday School teachers,  12 Probation workers, Juvenile Court,  7 Friendly visitors, Associated Charities,  6 Miscellaneous  13   -- Total,  279

Entertainments Given by Troupes.

In addition to the above, about 35 men have been engaged in the work of the entertainment troupes. Six entertainments have already been given. Futhermore, in response to requests for speakers, three men have been sent out on different occasions to speak on various subjects at neighborhood houses in Greater Boston.

An important branch of the work of the committee is the clothing and text-book collection. Two of these are held every year, the fall collection this year being particularly large.

About 25 men are still needed as volunteers, especially those who can act as basketball, debating and dramatic coaches. The opportunities in scouting, also, are limitless. All men who are at all interested in the work should confer with the Social Service secretary, who is at Phillips Brooks House every morning from 8.15 to 10 o'clock.

W. B. Beale '18 has been appointed chairman of the Social Service Committee to succeed W. Willcox, Jr., '17, who has resigned.

Entertainments Given by Troupes.