NAVY YARD SCORED ON INFORMALS

University Eleven Unable to Make Gains Through Opponents.

A 35-minute scrimmage with the Navy Yard provided a stiff workout yesterday for the informal University eleven. Only once was the ball put across for a touchdown during the entire practice, when Cannell scored on the last play by a five-yard line drive. The team, however, did not play with a view to scoring, but with the idea of correcting weak points in both elevens.

L. H. Leary '05, who is coaching the sailors, allowed the informals to keep the ball the greater part of the time in order that the Navy defence might be tested against a team which is un scored upon as yet. The chance to scrimmage against the sailors, who defeated the Camp Devens eleven 28 to 0, was welcomed by Coach Rollins, who is now building up a new offence for use at Newport.

The scrimmage began with the ball in the middle of the field. The informal backfield with B. S. Blanchard '20, and R. Hoffman '19, alternating on line plunges and off-tackle plays were not able to gain consistently through the Navy line including such strong players as Adams of Tufts and C. A. Clark, Jr., '19, on the right side of the line and at left end strecker who played a strong game in the Army-Navy athletic carnival. I. G. Coolidge '20, made several good gains around the ends. The informals repeatedly tried forward passes, but were not successful in this attack.

When the Navy was given the ball, the full power of their star backfield was seen. E. L. Casey '19, W. J. Murray '18, T. H. Enwright '18, and Cannell, the Dartmouth back, showed a varied and powerful attack. On short line drives with material gains by Casey through the entire informal eleven, the sailors gradually advanced the ball to within 10 yards of the informals goal line. The informals' defence stiffened momentarily but Cannell was finally able to cross the line on a plunge between guard and tackle.

The teams lined up as follows:

Informals.  Navy Yard.Steele, l.e.  r.e., LallyFlynn, l.t.  r.t., AdamsKiggen, l.g.  r.g., ClarkColeman, c.  c., ButlerThorndike, Philbin, r.g.  l.g., SheaWoods, r.t.  l.t., O'ConnorWhitney, r.e.  l.e., Strecker, EdwardsCoolidge, q.b.  q.b., MurrayHoffman, l.h.b.  r.h.b., CaseyFrancis, r.h.b.  l.h.b., CannellBlanchard, f.b.  f.b., Enwrigh