ORGAN RECITAL IN APPLETON

WILL BE COMMEMORATION OF THE SERVICES OF MARTIN LUTHER.

Owing to an accident to the organ in St. John's Chapel, the first of the series of organ recitals, open to the public, which are to be given during the season 1917-18 in turn in Appleton Chapel, in St. John's Memorial Chapel, and in Andover Chapel, cannot be given there but will be given instead in Appleton Chapel this evening at 8.15 o'clock. The music will be rendered by Richard Gilmore Appel, A. M., '12, and the choir of the Episcopal Theological School, assisted by Miss Doris Underhill and Miss Esther Wood, of Radcliffe College.

The program is announced as follows: 1.  Dear Christians, one and all, rejoice.   (a) 1st Melody, 1532--Choral Prelude,  Philip Wolfrum.   (b) 2d Melody, 1543--Choral Prelude,  J. S. Bach. 2.  A saving Health to us is brought. Choral Prelude,  J. S. Bach 3.  From depths of woe (Psalm 130).  Choral Prelude, Sigfrid Karg-Elert. 4.  Come, Redeemer of our race (Veni, Redemptor gentium). Choral Prelude,  J. S. Bach 5.  Now praise we Christ (A solis ortus cardine). Choral Prelude,  J. S. Bach. 6.  Christ who freed our souls from danger. Jesus Christus nostra salus,  John Huss. 7.  Christ lay in death's dark prison. Choral Prelude,  J. S. Bach. 8.  Come, Holy Spirit, come  (Veni, Sancte Spiritus). 9.  Nunc Dimittis. Choral Prelude,  J. S. Bach. 10.  The Lord's Prayer. Choral Prelude,  Samuel Scheidt, 1587-1659. 11.  Sanctus. 12.  From heaven above to earth 1 come.  Choral Prelude, Pachelbel, 1653-1706, 13.  To Shepherds as they watched by night  (original folk-song melody). 14.  A mighty fortress is our God. Choral Fantasia,  J. S. Bach

Several Hymns are Luther's.

The programme is in commemoration of the service of Martin Luther to the cause of Church Music. Several of his hymns will be sung, and their persistent appeal to composers of organ music, from Luther's day to our own, will be seen in the Choral Preludes, all of which are based on Luther's own melodies or on melodies associated with his hymns during his life-time.

Several Hymns are Luther's.