TRACK BEGINS AFTER RECESS

COACH DONOVAN WILL SUMMON CANDIDATES FOLLOWING HOLIDAYS.

Strict training for the University and Freshman track men for the winter relay races and indoor meets will commence on Thursday, January 3, the first day after the Christmas recess. All practice hitherto has been voluntary and attendance perfunctory, but after the vacation, a fixed regime of training will be established, and all those who report for winter track will be expected to practice every day.

The number of men who have reported for the preliminary practice has been satisfactory, although daily attendance has been dropping during the past week. In all, 50 runners and field event men have reported to Coaches Donovan and Farrell at some time during the three weeks of practice just passed. Of these about 30 were Freshmen. By far the largest number have been out for the sprints and distance runs, while only ten weight and field event athletes have been included among the candidates.

Number Reporting Satisfactory.

Coach Donovan is satisfied with the showing of the squad, especially since only 60 men reported for track in January last year, and a number of men annually come out for the first time after the Christmas recess. Both coaches have said, however, that the war should increase rather than decrease the number of runners, jumpers, and weight men, because track can afford both the experienced and inexperienced with the best physical training for military work.

In January there will be four weeks of training before the first outside contests are held. This period will be spent in rounding the experienced runners into shape, and developing the inexperienced by daily competition, with occasional races and time trials.