Progress Shown in Illustrated

By R. C. Kelley .

The Illustrated starts its career under the direction of the Class of 1918, abreast of the times and alive to its possibilities. The "Junior Dance" number, which gets its special title from an attractive cover and a space filler editorial on terpischorean joys, contains an adequate array of articles on the military situation, baseball, ambulance drivers, and the death of R. H. Hitchcock '17.

In this number as in other issues of the Illustrated since it became a bimonthly publication, it is evident that the paper has not yet struck the proper balance between illustrations and reading matter. Several of the writers take more space than their subject matter required, to say their bit, and there are several lapses from vigorous, pungent writing which should characterize a paper of this kind.

The picture subjects are comprehensive and the prints sharp. Lack of action, their main fault, is due, of course, to corresponding lethargy among undergraduates at this of year. When spring athletics invade Soldiers Field again we shall doubtless get our due share of action pictures. For even a blindman gets more thrills from a picture of a man sliding into third than one of Harvard losing a chess meet.

The appearance of the next number of the paper will be awaited with interest in view of the new policy of illustrating by drawings as well as by photographs. Certainly there is room for a more artistic make up and arrangement which would go a long way toward fulfilling the intentions of the founders of the paper. Perfection at the start, however, is neither to be expected or desired. For then where would be the joy of striving to better what has gone before?

The new editors of the Illustrated have already bettered the work of their predecessors. May the progress continue!