AN OPPORTUNE DEBATE

With a ticket sale that promises an even greater audience than in past years and a subject involving the most important problem of American foreign policy, the debate with Yale in Sanders Theatre tonight takes on an interest and significance far exceeding that of ordinary contests. The question of whether the United States should depart from its traditional diplomatic policies and enter into entangling alliances in Europe is one which this country must face within the next few weeks as well as at the close of the war. While the United States is not legally at war, it many be, either by actual hostilities between the armed forces of Germany and the United States or declaration by Germany, even before Congress has time to convene and act. Our relation with the Entente Allies of Europe will then be almost as important as the part we are to play in the actual conflict. The discussion of the problem of our foreign relations after the war by trained debaters who have made careful study and preparation should do much to define the principles involved. The American undergraduate, while he is not lacking in opinion, is often deplorably ignorant of the actual facts that form the basis of important questions of the day. Undoubtedly one cause of the revival of college debating is a real desire to know these facts, coupled with an interest in the world events now taking place. The debate tonight is in every way opportune.