IN CASE OF THE EXPECTED DECLARATION

A continued state of indecision results in moral and mental demoralization. This country has been in such a state for a dangerously long period, and the unfortunate resulting effect on the men in the University can be clearly seen. Everyone has been groping among chaotic uncertainties for a personal solution of the question, "What shall I do?"

AT last a general plan of what the University authorities will do upon the declaration of war has been given out semi-officially. Although the attitude and spirit of our people will change, no one need think that the Government, educational institutions and business concerns will be suddenly turned upside down. With Congress meeting early in April and the rapid development of the international situation, a declaration of war seems certain in the near future. As soon as the decision is made, the authorities will probably allow all men enrolled in any branch of the Naval Reserve to leave College at once and report to their designated stations. Naturally this will also apply to those members of the State Militia. For the men enrolled in the R. O. T. C. special examinations will be given as soon as the necessary arrangements can be made after the announcement of war. These examinations will take the place of the regular final examinations, and the College year will be terminated at the end of this special examination period. If the approval of the War Department is obtained, the entire University will then be turned into an officers' training camp and the remainder of the year devoted to military instruction with summer camps held here instead of at Plattsburg.

Harvard men may have no fear that the authorities will make all possible provisions for the most efficient direction of military work. When the time for quick action comes Harvard will be ready and the undergraduates duty will be an immediate and unflinching response to the call.