FRENCH OFFICERS SENT HERE

SIX WHO HAVE SEEN SERVICE IN TRENCHES TO DRILL R. O. T. C.

Some weeks ago the University inquired of M. Jusserand, the French ambassador to the United States, whether it would be possible to obtain French officers, disabled from active service, as military instructors at Cambridge. The ambassador took up the matter enthusiastically with his Government, which with the greatest generosity agreed to send these officers and to pay their salaries and expenses. The following announcement in regard to their arrival was given out at the College Office yesterday:

"In a letter received today, His Excellency, M. Jusserand, says:

"'My Government informs me that the French instructors whose sailing I had hurried to the best of my ability, will leave Bordeaux on the 9th inst.

"'Their names are as follows: Major Azan, infantry, head of the mission; Major de Reviers de Mauny, infantry; Captain Dupont, artillery; Captain de Jarny, artillery; Lieutenant Morize, infantry; Second Lieutenant Giraudoux, infantry.'"

The University in this way obtains the services of men who have been trained in the trenches as well as on the drilling ground, men who can impart to the recruits of the R. O. T. C. knowledge which could not be obtained by the best officer in a country which has long been at peace. These new allies of the United States are coming to Cambridge to continue the work which they can no longer carry on in the trenches.

The officers will arrive in America some time next week.