SQUANTUM NAVY AVIATION SCHOOL PLANS COMPLETED

To Train 100 Aviators and 50 Mechanics This Summer for Naval Reserve Flying Corps.

Final and definite arrangements have just been completed for the Massachusetts School for Naval Air Service to be established at Squantum this summer. This school, which will open about June 1 and will be conducted by one of the subcommittees of the Massachusetts Committee of Public Safety, is intended to supply the navy with a carefully selected body of young men sufficiently trained and skilled to pass any tests for provisional enrolment in the Naval Reserve Flying Corps or Class V of the United States Naval Reserve Force.

Applications for admission into the school are limited to those between the ages of 18 and 24 years, who have had a college education or its equivalent, or are now undergraduates, and are in perfect physical condition. Applicant student machinists need be between the ages of 17 and 35.

Standard navy sea-planes and supplies will be given by the Government to the Squantum School. Twenty students in flying and ten students in mechanics will be handled at one time, and it is expected that four or five classes will be graduated during the summer. The school at which the men are expected to live, will be run on a military basis and under strict discipline. Subsistence will be provided but no uniforms are required of furnished.

The student flyer will receive a retainer pay of $12 per year, but will not receive duty pay during the course of instruction at Squantum. Upon graduation, application will be made for a provisional commission as ensign in the Naval Reserve Flying Corps. After three months' service under the provisional grade, the student will receive a confirmed rating by qualifying before a professional board.

Enrolment is for a period of four years and during that time the reservist may be called on for immediate service in case of war or emergency. In time of peace the resignation of a reservist will always be accepted. If a man is to retain a confirmed rating three months' active service is required, but this service is not compulsory for others.