PLAN INFORMAL SPORTS

COACHES ARE RETAINED

A meeting of athletic representatives from Cornell, Columbia, Princeton, Pennsylvania, Yale and the University was held in New York City last Friday morning in order to discuss the question of athletics as affected by the war. The conference was called by the Board of Directors of the University of Pennsylvania Athletic Association, which had hoped that some arrangement might be effected whereby intercollegiate contests should continue. By the early morning announcements of most of the larger colleges, however, in which all athletics were called off, action on this question became useless. Some indefinite plans were made for the continuance of informal athletics in all the colleges.

Fred W. Moore '93, the University representative at the meeting stated yesterday to a CRIMSON reporter that, he expected these informal athletics to take definite shape after the Easter recess. Coaches Haines, Duffy and Donovan of the crew, baseball and track respectively, would, he said, be retained for the balance of the year, and instruction for individuals under these men will be available. As Mr. Moore expects that after the first few weeks of confusion have ended in well organized military units there will be a desire on the part of the men to play ball and now in their spare time, he is making every arrangement to provide for their exercise. At least one of the boat houses will be kept open and Soldiers Field will of course be available.

In an interview yesterday afternoon Captain Cordier made the following statement in regard to informal sports of this nature:

"I am heartily in favor of the continuance of athletics on an informal scale, and hope that, if possible, a system of interbattalion and intercompany sports can be organized. Should the Training Corps go into intensive training after the Easter vacation, Saturday afternoons will be set aside for regimental athletics."

If this system could be carried through it is altogether probable that more men would take part in athletics than under the limiting conditions of strict competition, Mr. Moore believes.

Practically all of the colleges of the East have taken action similar to that of the University in abolishing intercollegiate contests for the remainder of the year. The list includes Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Washington University and Bowdoin, and action by Williams and the University of Pennsylvania is expected within a few days. The Board of Stewards of the Intercollegiate Rowing Association have called off the Poughkeepsie regatta scheduled for June 21