JOFFRE LAUDS REGIMENT

ENLISTMENTS TOTAL 587

A statement which Marshal Joffre made to Major Azan last Saturday as the two soldiers were bidding each other good-bye has just been given out. Although delivered in an informal way, and not with the intention of being published, his remark is here repeated as representing the Marshal's real opinion more than any speech made in public. The statement, as he delivered it to Major Azan before his train left, was as follows:

"You are to be congratulated upon being identified with such a magnificent corps of future officers of the American army as I saw at Harvard this afternoon. The West Point cadets and they have impressed me most favorably, and I know that the French officers can do much toward helping these magnificent young men to lead their troops victoriously in France. The appearance of the Harvard Corps that I saw today was superb, and I admired their discipline and military carriage."

After a short visit in Montreal, where he was given a glorious reception, Marshal Joffre left that city at 4.30 o'clock on Sunday for New York.

Eight Hours' Drill Yesterday

The R. O. T. C. of the University went through its first day of eight hours of drill yesterday. In the first two battalions most of the time was devoted to open order work. There was a parade and review of the First Battalion at 5 o'clock.

Enlistments are continuing to come in rapidly from alumni, business men of Boston, and students of other colleges. To date 587 have enrolled in the Corps at the Recorder's office since the Easter recess; of this number 36 have been finally rejected because of physical disqualification or other reasons. Of the remainder 439 have so far been enlisted, making the total number of the Corps at present, not counting the men called to Plattsburg, over 900. President Hadley of Yale was in conference with President Lowell yesterday, and it is believed that several hundred men of that institution will report for duty at the camp established here after the existing Yale Corps disbands.

There will be a parade of the Second Battalion this afternoon at five o'clock, and of the Provisional Battalion on Wednesday at the same hour. In addition, there will be a review of the first two battalions this morning at eleven o'clock for the benefit of the Board of Overseers of the University. For this review the Stadium will be open to the public as well as to the members of the University.