THE KING OF GREECE

The delegation of King Constantine of Greece to the role of Lear by the persuasive pressure of the Allies adds one more to that large and by no means complete list of citizens of nowhere who were once kings of men.

The ways of national politics are amusing, and the antics of kinglets and kinglings more droll than those of Chaplin, primarily, no doubt, because they take themselves so very seriously. It is noteworthy now that Germany is spiritually shedding large tears over this ruthlessness to "a brave little people." Germany has had so much to do with brave little peoples in the past three years that she may pass as a judge. Her sympathies, it must be admitted, have been for Finland, Ireland, and Greece. She has seen with no overburdening woe the desolation by brand and steel of Serbia, the destruction of Belgium, the extinction of half of the Armenian race by the Turks for the honor of Islam. Yet now her ethics may not allow her to see without agony the deposition of Tino, alien king of Greece.

The Allies are attempting to justify their action. There are many men who prefer the simple truth without sugaring. Either Greece was for the Allies or she was against them. If she was for them, she wanted her King removed. If she was against them, she must have her King removed.

It was an act of war which is ruled by necessity, as Bethmann-Hollweg, with commendable honesty remarked. Further justification we need not seek.