"Military English."

Communication

The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, or sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I should like to be sure that those who through your columns recently petitioned that "Military English" be not required in English A fully understand our programme. We are mindful of the fact that English A must confine itself to the needs of the majority; and we have not the time or the inclination, even if we have the necessary knowledge, to go into the details of military "paper work." All we propose is, for the next three weeks, to bring out, by practising a few of the simpler and more generally useful forms of military writing, and by reading certain military essays and stories of unquestioned merit as literature, some of the fundamental qualities,--especially terseness and precision,--that are as important for the civilian as for the soldier.

If, after reading this explanation, the petitioners still feel that they have a grievance, I shall be glad to discuss the matter with such representatives as the petitioners may select. C. N. GREENOUGH.