NEW ENGINEERING SCHOOL HAS COMPLETE CURRICULUM

ABLE TEACHING STAFF

By Prof. H. J. hughes, DEAN OF THE ENGINEERING SCHOOL.

In answer to many questions as to the purpose of reorganizing the Engineering School and the advantages that it offers, Professor H. J. Hughes A.B. '94, S.B., '99, Dean of the Engineering School, has written the following letter to the CRIMSON:

"The Harvard Engineering School is organized to teach science to men who are preparing to practice engineering, or certain other sciences, as professions; and those who mean to take up occupations wherein technical training is necessary, or useful. The work of this school, however, covers only part of the instruction in applied science in Harvard University; for other departments of the University have for years been carrying on most important work in applied science. The newly reorganized school includes mechanical, electrical, civil, sanitary, mining and metallurgical engineering, and industrial chemistry often called 'chemical engineering' which is intended to fit men for the chemical industries.

Engineering Many-Sided Profession.

"Engineering is a new and rapidly growing profession, already subdivided into numerous well-developed special fields, some of them being distinct professions. Mechanical engineering includes engines, gas and water motors, machines, automobiles, refrigeration, power plants. Electrical Engineering deals with generators, motors, lighting, telephones and telegraphs, wireless telegraphy, and in general with the electric generation, distribution and use of power. Civil Engineering includes structures of wood, masonry and metals; reinforced concrete; roads and railroads; water supply, and water power; canals, river and harbor works. Sanitary Engineering is concerned in safeguarding food and water supplies, in the disposal of community wastes, and in general with the technical side of the problems, of public health. Mining Engineering has to do with the location of valuable minerals, the determination of the commercial value of ore deposits, and the co- erations of getting the ores out of the ground. Metallurgy deals with the extraction of metals from the ores and in preparing the metals for use. Industrial Chemistry is concerned with food stuffs, beverages, medicines, oils, dyes, gases, cement, asphalts, tar products, paper. The statements are of course not intended to be complete and accurate classifications, but merely illustrations.

Training Based on Fundamentals.

"The undergraduate program of this school are, in conformity to the best prevailing practice, straight courses in civil, mechanical engineering, etc., intended to fit young graduates to do well such work as will be expected of them according to the best standards of their chosen professions. Expert special knowledge is a great asset to any engineer, but to be of value it must be based on sufficient sound training in the fundamentals. Therefore specialized studies are planned for graduates; and the opportunities for such work will be unusual and varied. Emphasis on fundamentals should not be mistaken to mean that the undergraduate work will be general courses in science; on the contrary, it will contain more engineering and engineering laboratory work than is customary and will be definite, thorough preparation for the different engineering professions.

B.S. Degree for 4 Years' Study.

In order to fulfill the requirements laid down by Gordon McKay in his will, and also to open the school to desirable boys from high schools and academies, the admission requirements to the first year of the school have been made the same as for the Freshman Class in Harvard College. Two modern languages are required for graduation, but it is hoped that elementary language study will be completed before entering. Latin is acceptable and desirable as an admission subject, but not required. Programs are offered leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in each department upon the completion of four years of successful study, thus recognizing the fact that most boys can not spend more than four years in an engineering school. These four years will be largely of prescribed subjects; but the fifth and other graduate years will usually be made up of elective courses in special fields or will be devoted to research. In general five years of work successfully completed in the school will lead to a Master's Degree. At least two years of the first four can be anticipated in college by those who wish to have a general education before entering the school and such men, as well as graduates of other technical schools, will in general be admitted to such advanced standing as their training qualifies them. The importance of general studies will be recognized as much as practicable in the programs but the work is intended to be largely scientific, and every effort will be made to stimulate professional interest and esprit de corps from the beginning of the Freshman year to the end of the course.

New School Not Experiment.

"Engineering students are on the same footing as students in Harvard College in respect to dormitories, clubs, athletics and social activities, except that they will have less time for such matters. For a few months the work of the school will be carried on at a disadvantage, a condition to be found in most institutions at present. Pierce Hall will again be available for the school; the laboratory equipment now at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will be restored or made fully available, and the teachers now on leave will return. The work will soon be on a normal basis as to staff and plant. The new school is not an educational experiment but a straight-forward, well defined plan based on long experience and put into effect by an unusually complete and exceptionally able staff of teachers.