COMMENT

Price-Fixing a Boomerang.

Intramural athletics at the University have long been neglected. As yet this year they have not been vouched for at all. During the Winter and Spring quarters of last year, they were sponsored by the various classes, but it was evident that they were not much of a success. Not enough students took an interest in them. And only a few kinds of sports were instituted.

Students want intramural athletics. This fact was brought about last fall when the Undergraduate council passed out questionnaires on which the majority of undergraduates plainly showed their approbation of the inter-class sports proposition.

Some method of compulsory intramural athletics could well replace the physical culture requirement which has been always found faulty. At other universities this system is most satisfactory to both faculty and students. The Michigan Daily thinks "the method of instituting competitive athletics and arousing student interest is far superior in getting students to exercise than the compulsory gymnastic system some colleges have devised. Both are beneficial, but the interest of the student in voluntary athletics far outclasses the mechanical motions of formal calisthenics, and is certain to do as much to keep him physically fit".

Of course it would take a long time to develop a system of intramural athletics that could replace the physical culture plan. But in the meanwhile, it would be well if the different classes started intramural sports going. More inter-class sports should be instituted and an effort to arouse more enthusiasm and cooperation should be made. Daily Maroon,   University of Chicago