MASS MEETING FILLS UNION; 2000 PRESENT

"MEN BACK COACH" - MURRAY

At the final football mass meeting of the year last night, it was conclusively shown that the University is solidly behind the eleven. Two thousand men fought to squeeze their way into the Living Room of the Union. Not once this year has such enthusiasm been exhibited at a mass meeting. Even Coach R. T. Fisher '12, who witnessed the spirit of the days before the war, exclaimed that he had never seen the Union so jammed.

The meeting opened with a cheer; then songs, more cheering and speeches, followed in quick succession. Coach "Wally" Trumbull '15 started things by denouncing the "split in the Harvard team" story of yesterday's newspapers as a lie. "The spirit of the men and the coaches is the same as ever and the harmony between them as good as any I ever saw," he continued.

Head Coach Fisher '12, the next speaker, emphasized the fact that the easy schedule was forced upon the management by circumstances. "We sent the team against Princeton without knowing how well it would show up. But from the first minute the team 'came back.' And the fact that the team, in the last five minutes of play fought their way to a tie shows the stuff they are made of." Relative to the Yale game he said, "I was greatly impressed by the Yale team, their strength and power. But look at that eleven," (turning to the men on the stage). "No man can say that Yale will outfight us on Saturday."

Further assurance that the team backed up Coach Fisher to a man was given by the words of Captain W. J. Murray. "There isn't a man on the team who will not give up all personal ambition to win that game, and who does not trust Coach Fisher to the limit."

The team sat on the platform during the demonstration. After individual cheers for each member, the singing of the Marseillaise concluded the meeting.