RAISE TUITION FROM $150 TO $200 AT LAW SCHOOL

This Made Possible by Gift of $50,000 for Loan Fund for Students in Need.

Upon the recommendation of the Faculty of Law, the Governing Board of the University has voted to raise the tuition fee for students in the Law School from $150 to $200. Hitherto the Faculty of Law has felt that to raise the tuition fee of the school to the level at which it now stands in the College would deter from attending the school some men who should have an opportunity to go.

The present action has been made possible by the gift to the Endowment Fund of $50,000 from Max Epstein of Chicago, President of the American Tank Car Company, for a loan fund to be used in assisting able students to pay their tuition and give them general assistance in the Law School.

Mr. Epstein's gift, by providing the money for loans to many of the more needy students, has removed the chief bar in the way of the change and has thus enabled the Law School to add to its income an amount equivalent to the income from an endowment of nearly $1,000,000. In his letter accompanying the gift Mr. Epstein wrote as follows of the Law School.

"Through personal relations with graduates of the Harvard University Law Schools and observations of their work and achievements, I have been deeply impressed by its character as a national institution in the broadest sense and by the powerful influence that its Faculty and Alumni have had and can have upon the development of law and the establishment of justice throughout our land. Its students, from all parts of the country and from all classes of our people, are trained not only for the bar and the bench, but for leadership in public life."

The new tuition fee will apply only to students entering after September 1, 1920. Those who are now attending the Law School will continue to pay the present rate as long as they remain.