1923 MAT SEASON BEGINS TODAY

Plan Novice Tournaments for Inexperienced Wrestlers in Near Future.

Freshman candidates for the wrestling teams will report today to Coach Anderson in the Wrestling Room of the Hemenway Gymnasium at 4 o'clock. No cuts will be made in the squad during the season, and at all times each man on the team is open to challenge for his position, with the result that any man who at the beginning of the season is inexperienced will have as good a chance for the mat team as anybody.

An innovation in University wrestling in the form of a tournament for novices will be put through this season during the early part of the week previous to the Christmas recess. The tournament will be conducted after the fashion of the annual University Championships which take place late in March, and is intended to give a preliminary survey of the material in the squad. Matches in all classes from the 115-pounders to the heavy-weights, with liberal allowance made for over-weight, will be put through. This tourney is open to all men in good standing in the University with the exception of those who have won their "H. W. T."

A separate tournament for men from 1923 will be scheduled in conjunction with the one for the upperclassmen. Training under Coach Anderson for prospective entrants will continue at once at the Hemenway Gymnasium, and opportunities to work out with him with men from last year's team is offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 4 until 6 o'clock.

Any men from 1923 who failed to report for the managership competition on Monday, and who desire to do so, will have the opportunity by appearing at the first practice today at the Hemenway Gymnasium. Men entering the competition late will in no way be handicapped