THE YALE GAME.

Two years ago the huge concrete Bowl at New Haven, destined to be the mausoleum of Yale's brightest hopes, was appropriately christened with a Harvard victory. On Saturday, Harvard a second time faces Yale on the same field. Four successive victories have inspired an unshakable confidence in the ability of the Harvard team to win, and there only remains the danger that this feeling will develop into one of overconfidence, which is the first and longest step on the road to defeat. An overconfident cheering section is the worst enemy of its own team. Harvard is determined to win, but it must be a victory obtained on her own merits and not because of any fancied inferiority of the opposing team.

Yale is the home of miraculous "come-backs." There are many indications that she has at last climbed out of the lowly rut of former defeats and under the efficient guidance of a new coaching system has found again the drive and power that were once her victorious characteristics. The grit of Yale is universally know; it is in our power on Saturday to make the Harvard fighting spirit equally famed. The same fighting spirit that has animated Harvard's sons on the blood-stained battlefields of Europe must be shown on the football field and in the stands. The long roll of the Harvard cheer must convince the team that behind it is a cheering section determined to defeat Yale.

In the past it has been whispered that misfortune early in the game has left the Harvard stands weak and silent, and robbed the team of its power. This must not be the case on Saturday. We must show an indomitable spirit, the spirit that can turn a possible defeat into a victory. The man whose knocking knees are heard above his weak and faltering cheers has no place in the Harvard stands, and is unworthy of a Harvard victory. If the breaks of the game go against us, the team has the greater need of whole-hearted, enthusiastic support.

Yale's triumph over Princeton cannot shake our confidence in a Harvard victory. All Yale teams have looked alike to Haughton; the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

At the beginning of this year's football season the prospect for a Harvard team comparable to those of the last few years seemed slight. In the face of great difficulties, Coach Haughton has developed a fighting unit which has defeated Cornell and Princeton. However strong the Yale eleven may prove, we may feel certain that the omnipresent influence of Haughton's system will be evident. This year's football team deserves greater credit than some of the more famous teams of former years, for it has proved its worth against great odds. If the eleven picked men live up to the standard of fight and dexterity established thus far, there can be only one result at New Haven--a Harvard victory.