FREDERIC SCHENCK.

During the past year the University has been stricken again and again by the loss of many of its most able sons, not only in the armies of the nation, but also among those who carried on the work of the country and the College throughout the critical period. Few of this latter group merited more the respect and admiration of both graduates and undergraduates than Frederic Schenck '09, whose death we today record with sorrow.

Little can be added to the appreciation of Dr. Schenck which Professor Merriman has written. Yet there is one feature of his life at Harvard to which tribute can not be too often made: he was the intimate friend not only of his colleagues in the Faculty, but also of a large part of the undergraduate body. That indefinable contact-a bond which held beyond the walls of the lecture hall-was characteristic of him; many more famous masters of learning have sought it and failed. He was first and always our friend; kind, sympathetic, tolerant, never the teacher on a pedestal but always the helpful advisor. Mingling as one of us he pointed the way by his wider culture and greater experience to better effort and broader ideas. We knew him as infinitely patient in the classroom and in the little study in Gray's Hall, where he cheerfully devoted himself to the troubles we laid before him. He served Harvard with rare fidelity and devotion; it is a lifetime of generous service that the University has lost by his death.