"1901" HELD BANQUET AT FRONT UNDER GERMAN FIRE

"Major Swan '01 Tells How Five Classmates Dined In First Line Artillery Dugout Near Toul.

"One of the most interesting events concerned with the lighter side of trench warfare which I experienced during my year in France, spend most of the time at the front was the first Harvard class banquet ever held under fire," said Major Carroll J. Swan '01, of the 101st Engineers, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter. "In my own regiment three out of the six company commanders were in the class of 1901 at the University, Captain Edwin Bruch, Captain Charles Roach, and myself. On a section of the Toul front we met two other clasments, one a Colonel of Artillery, C. A. Goodwin, the other a liaison officer, Lt. Harold Winslow.

Bombardment Interrupted Colonel.

"It seemed fitting at this place that we have an old-fashioned class banquet This was arranged in an artillery dog out in the front lines. While the Colonel was making his after dinner speech, such a terrific bombardment arose that he could not continue. At the same time he was obliged to give orders to his battery to send a round of shells into the hostile lines. After the deafening noise had ceased and the Colonel had resumed his place, the celebration continued and was finished without interruption. We believe that the class of 1901 holds the honor of being the only class in any college to have held a class banquet under fire."