UNIVERSITY MEN RETURNED AS OFFICERS ON "MONGOLIAN"

Brig. Gen. Sherbourne One of Arrivals. Major MacLeod and Captain Thompson Decorated.

Among the Harvard men who returned recently to this country on the transport "Mongolian," the most prominent was Brigadier General John H. Sherbourne '99, commander of the 51st Artillery Brigade. Major H. W. Minot '17, adjutant of the brigade and former halfback on his Freshman football team was another.

In the same brigade were Captain Andrew Thompson '06, of Worcester, who received the Croix de Guerre, and Major Norman M. MacLeod '02, of Providence, R. I. The latter received the D. S. C. and Croix de Guerre with a palm for conspicuous service at Macheville, when an attack was directed against this town last September. Major MacLeod was liaison officer at the time with the 102nd regiment, and took command of the scattered elements of infantry which did not have sufficient officers, owing to losses. With these men, Major MacLeod, then captain, successfully resisted an enemy counter-attack.

Major Charles F. Mains '96, medical officer of the 103rd Field Artillery was also among those on board. He was first attached to the 101st Ambulance Company, later being transferred to the Verdun front, where he was when the Verdun front, where armistice was signed.