DANIEL WEBSTER ON THE BOLSHEVIKI.

In times of industrial strife and labor troubles which threaten to overturn existing institutions, it is in a way comforting to remember that the problem is not a new one. More than once before nations have been thrown into a turmoil because of capital-labor controversies and they have recovered. As one encouraging example of this truth, we reprint here a statement made by Daniel Webster in 1828, which seems particularly pertinent.

"There are persons who constantly clamor. They complain of oppression, speculation and the pernicious influence of accumulated wealth. They cry out loudly against all banks and corporations and all means by which small capitals become united in order to produce important and beneficial results. They carry on mad hostility against all established institutions. In a country of unbounded liberty they clamor against oppression. In a country of perfect equality they would move heaven and earth against privilege and monopoly. In a country where the wages of labor are high beyond parallel, they would teach the laborer that he is but an oppressed slave."