FRESHMEN WON FIRST GAME

ELEVEN HITS GAVE 1922 VICTORY WHILE ERRORS ALLOWED THE VISITORS TO SCORE.

In a poorly fielded game, the 1922 baseball team defeated Watertown High School by a score of 7-3 in the opening contest of the season. The Freshmen batted well, securing 11 hits, including a triple and five doubles, but made several costly errors which left in the three Watertown runs. In the fourth inning an easy grounder rolling along the first base line bounced over S. R. Smith's glove, allowing two Watertown men to cross, the plate, and again in the eighth inning errors by E. Goode and C. J. Mason were responsible for the visitors' scoring. E. C. Lincoln, with a double and a triple starred at bat.

W. B. Rice pitched well for the first four innings, allowing no hits, but was replaced by Goode in the fifth inning after giving two bases on balls and two wild pitches. Goode pitched well, and held the Watertown nine to one hit.

The game was not a very severe tryout for the Freshmen, as the Watertown team is unusually weak this year. The contest with St. Mark's at Southboro on Saturday should give them a harder test.