THE McKAY SCHOOL.

The Harvard Engineering School has not received the publicity it deserves. Handicapped by starting in a war-time year, and lacking proper space and equipment, it has been forced to hide its light beneath a bushel. Next autumn., however, the school should be entirely ready to function on a permanent basis.

Among the advantages of the new department is the privilege of any undergraduate member to live in the same buildings and take part in all activities of the College. This ruling permits any undergraduate to retain his friends, interests, and associations, and at the same time to benefit by a technical education.

In addition, the program of instruction shows the liberalizing tendency of the University. While following the same general principles as at older institutions, the work is not so confined to one particular specialty. The electives, moreover, afford a chance to take some of the best cultural courses of the College. This allows a man to obtain a more general education than he could at an ordinary technical school.

Such instructors as Professors Smyth, Hughes, and Swain in the departments of Mining and Civil Engineering have a wide reputation. Professor Sauveur, who has just returned from important war work with the French government, has received international recognition.

With so able a staff of instructors and with the help of the McKay Endowment, the University, should have no difficulty in making the Engineering School one of the best in the country.