FIRST EIGHT WON PRACTICE BRUSH BY HALF A LENGTH

DR. DENNY ARRIVED

Red Top. Conn., June 10.--With clear weather for the first time in three days this morning, the crews took a strong paddle of three miles, at the end of which the first eight led by half a length. The Freshman and second boats then returned to the quarters, while Coach Haines took the first University, oarsmen back in a series of short stretches.

The Yale eight, paced for the first part of the course by the Cosmopolitan second and for the last half by the Cosmopolitan freshman crew was given a time trial. The trial, which did not take place under very favorable conditions, resulted in a time for course of 22 minutes, and 10 seconds.

Yale 1922 Lost Two Men.

Yale's freshman eight suffered a severe loss today, when C. V. Whitney, the bow oarsman, and F. W. Spencer, whose seat is at number 7, were declared ineligible to row because of failure in their final examinations. Both men immediately left for New Haven. For the present Willis has been moved from number 5 to number 7, his place being filled by Mitchell, a substitute. Leslie, another substitute, is now rowing at bow. Coach Abbot was very much disappointed at the loss of the two men, as the 1922 eight had just become accustomed to its former make-up.

In the afternoon the University crews repeated the program of the morning, with the exception that all three eights did short sprints. Special attention was paid to the start the recovery.

Men in Good Condition.

All the men continue to be in excellent physical condition, and their spirits have been considerably heightened by the return of good weather conditions. Dr. Denny arrived yesterday and is now in charge of the medical care of the oarsmen. G. L. Batchelder '19, captain of the second crew, who was obliged to leave for Boston Sunday because of an injury to his knee, has not yet returned. His knee is much better, however, and he is expected to resume his regular place within the next few days.