$1,300,000 ABOVE TUITION SPENT EVERY YEAR

Endowment Fund Is Expected to Prevent Recurrence of Deficit.

The Harvard Endowment Fund Committee, which is now conducting a world-wide campaign to raise fifteen, million dollars for providing the University with vitally needed mobile funds, has published statistics showing how much more is given out to students than is taken in by the University in tuition fees. It is found that the difference is $1,300,000.

Choosing the last normal year as a basis, it is found that the total expenses of the University normally amount to approximately $2,000,000, while the total receipts from tuition fees do not exceed $700,000, thus leaving a difference of $1,300,000 of expense for which the student does not have to pay. And it is not intended that the student shall have to pay it.

A large part of this approximate sum of $1,300,000 is made up from the income of the University's invested capital, but the $165,108 deficit in the last fiscal year, the largest in the history of the University, definitely establishes the fact that Harvard needs new funds, particularly in view of the plan to increase expenses still further by the proposed changes in the salaries of instructorss and professor, whose pay, it is pointed out, has not been raised since 1906.

Boston Committee Named.

The work of canvassing the 10,000 Harvard men residing within Boston, Norfolk, Suffolk, and the Southern half of Middlesex counties, is under the direc tion of the greater Boston committee, whose officers are:

Thomas Nelson Perkins '91, Chairman: Philip L. Spalding '92, Vice-Chairman; Henry S. Thompson '99, General Manager; and R. B. Batchelder '13, Secretary.

The Executive Committee.

Thomas Nelson Perkins '91, Chairman; Phillip L. Spalding '92, Vice-Chairman; Robert Homans '94, Robert H. Hallowell '96, Philip S. Dalton '98, Edward L. Logan '98, Howard Coonley '99, Henry S. Thompson '99, Robert H. Gardiner, Jr., '04, and R. B. Batchelder '13, Secretary.

The Advisory Committee.

Allen Curtis '84, S. H. Fressenden '86, Philip L. Spalding '92, Philip Stockton '96, James Dean '97, Thomas B. Gannett '97, N. P. Hallowell '97, Philip S. Dalton '98.

Through similar organizations in foreign lands every living Harvard alumnus will be reached. These will include not only Harvard College men, but also men of the professional schools