A TWENTY PER CENT INCREASE.

The announcement that University teachers are to have a twenty per cent, raise in salary this year is welcome news to all Harvard men. During the past fourteen years it was impossible for the College to make any increase, and as the cost of living has fully doubled during this period, the members of the Faculty without independent incomes have had to fear a heavy burden.

Education is cited as a panacea for all our ills, but how can education fulfill our hopes unless there is more monetary stimulus to draw able men into the teaching profession? At present, there are innumerable examples of young college graduates, eminently fitted for an academic life, who shun such a future solely because they are unable to forego the comfort for themselves and their families which they are able so easily to earn in other fields.

If we hope to reform the world by education we must be willing to pay for it. It is satisfactory to know that "twenty per cent," is but a beginning here at Harvard. It shows that the Endowment. Fund is not a dead, issue, that professors are going to get something out of it while it is under way. Thus subscriptions to the fund should be stimulated. May this increase lend momentum to the general movement now on foot to enhance the demand for teachers and thus better the quality of the supply.