FRESHMEN TACKLE STIFF OPPOSITION AT ANDOVER; HOLDER CAPTAINS TEAM

ANDOVER HAS FORMIDABLE RECORD, BUT LOST TO YALE

Daniel F. Holder of New Orleans, Louisiana, was elected to captain the 1924 football team at the close of yesterday's practice Holder played four year on the St. Mark's School eleven, which he led in his Senior year. He is the most promising line-man on the squad and has held down one tackle berth throughout the season.

A hard, close battle is to be expected when the Yearlings meet the Andover eleven on Brouthers Field this afternoon at 3.

With many regulars back in their line up, the Freshmen will be able to present practically all their strength against the sturdy Academy team which so nearly held the Eli cubs to a tic last Saturday. In comparison with this contest, 1924's earlier games have been practice scrimmages. In Captain Wingate, the Andover quarterback, the Yearlings have a dangerous opponent, fast, slippery, and gifted with a decide turn at handling an eleven. Together with Wingate are Mahrt and Ellis, Halfbacks of more than average ability. The Academy line matches 1924 in weight if not experience. Wolf, at end, proved a very pernicious thorn that punctured most of the Eli Freshmen's end runs in the bud, and being an able snatcher of forwards will bear wary watching on the offense. In addition to splendid material which has come through with such a clean record this season, the Andover combination is known to possess a puzzling assortment of plays. This fact has bothered Coach Ryan, who has, nevertheless, planned a defense which should prove effective.

As the Freshman line-up takes its place, several changes will be noticed which forebode a tidy handful for the schoolboys. With E. D. Gehrke, P. Jenkins and the newly-discovered L. Lock-wood comprising the backfield, the Freshmen should open up a smashing, hard-running attack far stronger than they have yet been able to display in games. Not only in the kicking and running game, but also in a visible serial attack they should prove something, as J. J. Lee has a pair of wingmen who have been teaming up well as forwards in the veteran L. C. Larrabee and R. Pantoleoni, starting his first game at left end. Beside this steady pair, lines up a solid tackle-to-tackle barrier led by Captain Holder, that has grown steadily in strength as the season progressed. In his line, Coach Ryan can repose full confidence, while the present aspect of his back combination is anything but discouraging.