Editorial Burlesque

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It seems to me that you are taking a great deal for granted and crediting your readers with very little intelligence in your editorial on "Harding and Coolidge" in today's issue. Why assume that the majority of the people of this great country of ours regard their own good at the expense of the good of the world? And why suppose that the most selfish American does not realize that the betterment and peace of the world in general and of the United States in particular will indubitably make for his own betterment and peace? It is certainly a clever bit of editorial burlesque to state your belief in. "The lasting establishment of the League of Nations under the guidance of a Republican Administration supported by such leaders as Root, Hughes, Taft, Hoover, and Wiekersham" as against "The Democratic hegemony of Taggart, Nugent and Tamany Hall". It would be closer to the truth, the of course detrimental to your argument, to say that you believe that Harding, indorsed by Johnson, Borah, Lodges, Moses, Viereck, and other radical politicians and admittedly pro-Ger- man schemers, will change not only his opposition to any League of Nations, but also the opinion of the leading nations of the world regarding the present League, and will be able to bring about peace in the world, after his election; while Cox, who favors the League, will not be able to accomplish anything, altho backed by such men of proven devotion and service to their country as Franklin Roosevelt, William Gibbs, McAdoo and Woodrow Wilson, the originator of the existing League. It might be a good idea if you gave your readers credit for having read a speech or two of the respective candidates and an occasional real newspaper.  JAMES D. WINANS '21

October 4, 1920.

(The CRIMSON regrets that on account of lack of space it will be impossible to print all the letters in support of Mr. Cox brought forth by the recent editorial "Harding and Coolidge". The communications printed today were selected as representative examples.--Ed.